August 15, 2010

General Musings for the week 15th August 2010

This week was a long, tiring week in which I didn't do a great deal.

Let me explain: Regular readers will know that I have been working on a new film set in World War I, directed by a Hollywood A-List director and based on a famous book by a Children's Laureate. This week was my first week of filming. For various NDA-type reasons I can't tell you what I was filming (or where) but I can say that the week consisted of a lot of sitting around waiting for things like horses to be positioned, or rain to pass over, followed by intense periods of running like a madman across a field. As a result I am sitting here writing this with a strained thigh muscle, aching limbs and slightly soggy feet.

But I wouldn't change it for the world. (For those of you who are interested in working in films as I do here are a couple of posts I have written about my life as a background artiste).

In other news: Good US-based friend Karen has just announced that she is about to get married. I've known her for ten years and I am really, really happy for her. Congratulations, Karen!

I must also send out a quick acknowledgment to reader-of-this-blog Adam Deane. Adam is a fellow BPM professional who has quickly established himself as a writer of amusing but pointed posts on BPM and the like. His post last week though, was triggered by my last Musings Cafe entry, and he was able to take that post and make an ingenious link into Gone With The Wind. Well worth a few minutes of your time to read. Thanks for the mention, Adam!

Things that made me go 'Hmmmm.' I noticed that on the side of my milk carton this week Tesco have started to denote the carbon  footprint related to the content. Apparently the 3 pint carton created 800g of CO2. Hmmmm.

Things I don't understand: Water filters through the rocks and the carbon in the earth. It has been doing this through the same carbon for millions of years. Why is it, then, that when water filter makers take this same carbon and stick it into a plastic filter it stops working effectively after 4 weeks?

I saw an advert the other day for a 'small loan' company which allowed you to borrow anything from £25 to £1000 for anything up to 30days. In bold letters across the bottom of the screen was the APR: 2564%. That's right, to borrow £1000 and not repay it for a year would cost almost a quarter of million pounds to repay. I thought usury was illegal?

Finally I can recommend the Oatmeal's explanation of the difference between e.g. and i.e.





0 comments (See Policy http://tinyurl.com/5qgr5x):

Post a Comment